Saturday, February 2, 2008

Covering All Grounds - Variety

Yeah! The end of the last blog post WAS powerful!!! Thank you so much for your lovely comments.

We are now in the "city projects" of New Zealand. I have travelled all around the world and I have never in my entire 8 years of eating Raw Foods found it difficult to get quality food. I was forced to eat Conventional Vegetables for the first time. I have eaten Conventional fruit in the past but I am strict on my veggies.

January 30th I ate:

11 AM Juice
Pineapple, Cucumber, Alfalfa
1:30 PM - Meal 1:
1/4 avocado
3 tablespoons of Tahini
1 big handful of MICROGREENS (I love them!)
1.5 ounce of alfalfa sprouts
4 cut up red conventional tomatoes
**all the above mushed with a fork in a bowl
Cucumber sticks to dip the above in and EAT
6:30 PM Meal 3:
4 tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in water
1 handful of goji berries
4 dried cut up Turkish figs
1 – 2 Tablespoons of Tahini
1 small handful of Blueberries
1/2 of a banana cut up
3 spoonfuls of Angela’s Papaya
**All mixed in a bowl - YUM!

I always talk about how I eat almost the same thing every day. It is the same kinds and quantities of food. Norman Walker seemed to do the exact same thing. The goal for me is to switch up all the foods to get a variety. Each nut, vegetable, and fruit has a different composition of nutrients. He would eat the same things but switch cabbage for celery, almonds for walnuts, mung beans for lentils, etc. When Angela and I finally get settled back in the US, I am going to partake in the same thing. I’ll switch up all the different nut butters we have.(Pine Nut Butter, Hazelnut Butter, Brazilnut Butter, Sunflower Seed Butter, Pumpkin Seed Butter, etc). And of course I’ll do the same thing with sprouts, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. They don't have any other nut butter besides tahini out here in NZ and Australia. I have decided that when we are done with this last jar of tahini, I am going to switch to different Raw Organic nuts that are available around here in my meals.

I am meeting more and more long-term raw food eaters who are running into Marginal Deficiencies. The key to covering all your grounds and avoiding marginal deficiencies is to juice a wide variety of VEGETABLES each day and cleanse the colon on a periodic basis. Like Norman Walker, I like to just choose 2-4 vegetables at a time to dose on those nutrients. Switching those veggies up for each juice is key. Additionally, I don’t like to put any fruit in my veggie juice. I have heard that digestion works two ways; one for fruit and one for veggies. Supposedly, the body will choose the fruit "digestion path" over the veggies and we won’t get as much nourishment from the veggies. Veggies are the nourishers (Which are key) and fruits are the cleansers.

Since being in Australia, I have been using apples and using masses of different veggies in each drink. I am going back to my old ways of no fruit and using only a few veggies in each juice. This will ensure that I get great doses of individual nutrients at one time. I use carrots to sweeten the juice. I also like to juice carrots over apples because they are more nourishing to the body. Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices, By Dr. Norman Walker, go into great detail of very beneficial combinations. He’ll also tell you the benefits of those carrots, spinach, beets, and every other nutrient. Raw Success goes deeper into the "why's" with Juicing and Colon Hydrotherapy with succeeding in the long-run.

Lastly, to make sure all the fiber is gone in the juice I use a nut milk bag to strain it. Even with the juicer that provides the highest nutrient quality, which is the twin gear juicer, pulp is still left in the nut milk bag. We switched the brand of our nut milk bags up about a week ago and we finally got a sample mailed to us in New Zealand. OMG! These are the BEST Nut Milk Bags. It is like a pillow case, nothing gets through and they don’t rip and they are soooo easy to work with and EASY TO CLEAN. LOVE THEM! We sell them in our store of course and we get them from this nice Raw Wonder Woman from Vermont who makes them herself. It all happened so naturally as we were exchanging “hello, nice to know you’s.”

Ok... Moving right along... I knew I would find Organics by the second day. I would have taken a bus if need be or walked across the country. However, many Raw Friends in New Zealand Came to the rescue and took us to a bunch of Organic shops and farmers markets just a few miles away. Amazing!

Yesterday, January 30th I ate:

1 PM - Meal 1:
Prepared Whole food WILD Green salad with spinach cucumber avacado dressing
**We were guests
5:30 PM Meal 2:
Green Veggie Juice (I'll start listing veggie juice ingredients when I am back on track and doing just 2 - 4 ingredients)
6:30 PM Meal 3:
3 tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in water
1 handful of goji berries
1 handful of dried Turkish figs
1 – 2 Tablespoons of Tahini
1 SMALL Banana cut up
2 tablespoons of fresh blue berries
Today, February 1st I ate:
11 AM:
Green Veggie Juice
(I'll start listing veggie juice ingredients when I am back on track and doing just 2 - 4 ingredients)
1:30PM - Meal 1
1/4 Avocado
2 - 3 tablespoons of tahini
1 small handful of sprouted sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons whero pea sprouts (Angela calls them popcorn sprouts - 1st time we've seen these)
1 small handful of Karengo seaweed (this is like dulse but saltier and BETTER. only from NZ. Wow!)
2 tablespoons of Wakame seaweed fronds (if you don't soak them and eat them hard, they taste like salty pretzels. I have seen these in NY before)
4 - 5 diced heirloom tomatoes
**All mushed with a fork and put in butter lettuce leaves as a wrap
5:30 PM Meal 2:
1 handful of dried Turkish figs
3 Tablespoons of hemp seeds
**Blended together (Muscle building meal! and yum!)
added a couple more cut up figs to it to chew

Elaine wrote:

Not too long ago, you mentioned about giving up all salt. The attached email is from
Dr. Robert O. Young, who has been educating me about the function of acid/alkaline
as it relates to health and disease. Dr. Young is very strong in his belief/knowledge
about salt. He believes that the non use of salt is a huge miss in the health system.
I am just trying to find the truth about this issue. I am using Dr. Young's product of
ph-salts, and measuring for the resulting ph of the urine.
It seems that my raw eating habits, about 90%, is helped by using the salts Dr. Young
recommends to stay alkaline. Would you please think about this information, and maybe even consult with Dr. Fred Bisci and Dr. Young and post something either to
your blog or to me personally. Love you much.


In my opinion, If you are doing the 100% Raw Food Diet successfully and correctly, salt is not needed at all. Many people on the Standard American Diet with so much obstruction in their cells will probably benefit from these natural salts. However, when you become 100% Raw, there is less obstruction in your cells, your body becomes more efficient and it needs less fuel to maintain and you can nourish yourself successfully with Vegetable juices. Celery Juice is a great juice for the natural sodium and iodine. Raw Success will tell you how to do a 100% Raw Food diet successfully but a brief overview I will site here. Drink a variety of Vegetable juices, cleanse the colon periodically so you keep up with the obstructions leaving your cells, eat seaweeds to get minerals, and use some sort of ocean water (clean tested) supplement for minerals. (Oh, I am opening a can of worms here.) In a future post, I will talk about ocean water and the supplements I use as it is quite lengthy. For now, if you want to keep on track, put a few drops in your water or veggie juice of Ocean’s Solution from OceanGrown.

I don’t want to mess with Robert O’ Young. He is great! He is Mr. Scientific Man. He uses microscopes and does blood testing and other things. There are a lot of scientific studies done today that show certain things hold true to the mass of human beings. Some examples are Blood type, Body Type, and Doshas to name a few of them. Additionally, they say it is important for someone who has a thyroid issue, for example, to eat certain foods and other things like this for the rest of their lives. If a 100% Raw Food eater gets a blood test (which is extremely important) their levels can be lower then a cooked food eater and that is completely natural. They even go as far to say that certain body types can’t eat 100% Raw Foods. Many people use that as an excuse not to go 100% Raw. When someone is truly doing the 100% Raw Food diet correctly the rules change because there is less gas and obstructions in the cell. Here is a great excerpt from Raw Success (You are going to have the entire book here in this blog before we know it!).


Every single person is an individual and there are over 1,000 variables going on in the human body at one time. By no means do I assume that everyone’s diet should look the same. If someone is, for example, thriving on two meals a day, and they are instead told to eat many meals to suit their body type, this can actually be detrimental for them. People cannot be grouped so crudely. Each person is unique and food needs will change based on lifestyle and personality. For example, an extreme amount of emotional anxiety speeds up metabolism, possibly creating a need for more nourishment. This is not due to “body type”, but stress management. Others medicate themselves with food all day, justifying their habit with reasons of blood type or even astrological sign.

Someone who thinks they have blood sugar issues may be told to eat six times a day. On this frequent feeding, they start to feel better, and assume their blood sugar normalized. Truly it all boils down to levels of toxicity. The endogenous poisons released during detox may cause shaking, fatigue and cravings. Constant eating stops this challenging detox and people feel more comfortable.

A drug addict, who snorts cocaine twice a day, becomes accustomed to his/her typical amount. If they cut back to once a day, withdrawal symptoms such as low energy, moodiness, and cravings for “a fix” will inevitably follow. This is not because their blood sugar went down. Do you see the inaccurate justification for what is really a system going through detox? With the help of a reliable alternative health practitioner, listen to your body and let it run its course for your healing.


As soon as you refill the stomach with food, THE ELIMINATION IS STOPPED and you feel better!
(Arnold Ehret: The Mucusless Diet Healing System, Pg 156)



It Will Happen Naturally
The truth of the matter is that when someone is truly 100% Raw, as the years go on, they will naturally evolve to need less and less food. No matter what your gender, body type, or blood type, any individual can reach this proposed optimal food intake over time, just as anyone can become a Liquidarian. My recommendation is not to go further or reduce your food quantity below this Optimal Diet, as the adverse conditions of the environment may affect your health in the long run.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Enjoying your posts so much, they are really thought provoking.

I found eating the same fruit, mono eating I was starting to get the same thing. Switching things up--variety within eating similar meals/eating each day helps in getting back to that balance and bliss.

Thanks for the time and thought you put into your posts. Part of my essential daily reading now!

Love and light to you and Angela

Michelle said...

I love the part about the cocaine addict. It is a great way to explain it. I have people ask me how we could crave the foods we are allergic to and I never was very good at explaining it. Not anymore.

Enjoy your time down under.