Monday, February 4, 2008

Emotionally Satisfied

Just like the distilled water, my precious Angela is on another rebellion. Today was the first morning I was going to start with just a few veggies at a time. I decided to start with my favorite most nourishing juice, carrot and spinach juice. My heart melted as she pouted away at the shock of sudden change from juicing 10 veggies at a time to just two. I guess I have to try to wean her back into this routine. We had to start with Dr. Norman Walker's Potassium Broth juice which is four ingredients - Carrot, Spinach, Celery, & Parsley. I did use a lot of spinach and my body was so happy about that. I could feel it.

I am also coming back to almost duplicating Dr. Norman Walker’s morning routine... well... every part but the water and lemon in the morning. When I drink water with lemon in it, I feel that it isn’t good for my teeth. I just feel citrus on them. Dr. Norman Walker would wake up and drink hot water with lemon in it. He says it is great for flushing out the liver and gall bladder (I WANT!). If you do cold water with lemon, it will help the peristalsis if you are feeling sluggish that morning. He waits for 15 – 30 minutes for that to digest and then he drinks a small glass of orange juice to get vitamin C. He says Vitamin C is necessary for our connective tissue and our body doesn’t create it so we HAVE to get it from outside sources. He then waits 15 – 30 minutes for that to digest and then he has his vegetable juice. That is his breakfast.

I am back to just a bit of citrus before the veggie juice to get some vitamin C. I do either orange or grapefruit juice. There is less sugar in the grapefruit juice so I feel like I can get away with a bit more. If I do a heavy run, I love to drink a great amount of orange juice as I can get away with it.

If you ever do massive exercise and are sweating away, you have a 45 minute to where you can eat a good amount of sugar with out an insulin spike. In the past I would squeeze lemon in just a bit of hot water so I could just shoot it and not have to deal with sipping it and getting it all over my teeth. At some point I’ll be doing that again, just not now.

February 2nd I ate:

12 PM Citrus Juice
6 oz Grapefruit juice
1:00 PM Vegetable juice
Carrot/Spinach/Celery/Parsley - Norman Walker’s Postassium Broth
2:00 PM - Meal 1:
1/4 avocado
3 tablespoons of hemp seeds
1 handful of MICROGREENS
1 small hanful of mung beans and sunflower seeds
5 cut up red conventional tomatoes
1 teaspoon of onions
1 handful of seaweed
**all the above mushed with a fork in a bowl
Cabbage and butter lettuce to wrap the above in and EAT
6:30 PM Vegetable Juice
Carrot/Beet/Cucumber – Walker’s combination for cleansing the Liver and Gall Bladder. We added a few sprigs of Watercress to get the beneficial nutrients
8:00 PM - Meal 2:
3 Medium Apples
**Blended into Apple Sauce
4 tablespoons of flax
1 handful of almonds
2 teaspoons of maca
**All three ingredients Ground up to powder
1 handful of goji berries
**All mixed in a bowl - YUM!

It seems to me that if one is not emotionally satisfied when adhering to a “cleaner” diet, then they will not succeed. When I first went 100% Raw, every night I would eat a HUGE salad consisting of a LARGE head of Romaine Lettuce, 5 – 15 Large Heirloom tomatoes, a HUGE handful of dulse, other veggies and 2 – 3 ENOURMOUS avocados. For about 4 – 5 years this meal emotionally satisfied me every night. That is how I succeeded!

I got away with eating so much food for so long because this type of Raw Food diet was much cleaner then my previous Standard American Diet. As the years went by and I became cleaner, this huge salad started to take its toll on me. I would be out of energy for the night and I would wake up in the morning with masses of mucus coming out of my nose. My body was tell me to take my diet to the next level. I did this while at the same time figuring out what would be emotinoally satisfying to me. I was still emotionally satisfied with less avocado in the same meal.

So here I am about 8 years into raw and I just didn’t like doing an entire avocado any more because it was taking it’s toll on me. I found that using the nuts, seeds, and nut butters, in place of a great portion of the avocado was a step to a cleaner diet... which in turn TOTALLY Emotionally satisfied me. I LOVE eating it every day! As the years go by I will eat less while being emotionally satisfied. I feel that it ALMOST happens automatically.

Today, February 3rd I ate:

1:00 PM
Vegetable juice – cabbage, zuchini, carrot, watercress (random to get nutrients)
2 PM - Meal 1:
1/4 avocado
3 tablespoons of hemp seeds
1 handful of MICROGREENS
1 small hanful of mung beans, sunflower seeds and pumpkin sprouts
5 cut up red conventional tomatoes
1 teaspoon of onions
1 handful of seaweed
**all the above mushed with a fork in a bowl
Cabbage and butter lettuce to wrap the above in and EAT
5:30 PM:
Green Veggie Juice - Carrot/Spinach/Celery/Parsley - Norman Walker’s Postassium Broth
8:30 PM Meal 2:
2 pounds of cherries

Kelly Wrote:

I am curious to know how active your lifestyle is. For the most part I work and live in the backcountry, carrying heavy backpacks and hiking many miles through tough terrain. Essentially exerting a lot of energy. Since I have been raw I have been injured and not backpacking. I am wondering what a raw life style would be like on a raw diet and wanted to know if you had any recommendations for foods. Lighter is better I suppose. Also I am curious as to what your activity levels are like. This is all new to me so I am trying to absorb as much info as possible and you and Angela have been very helpful. Thanks so much!

Some days my levels of activity are extreme and others I don’t do much activity at all. I like to do yoga and run good distances. I also sometimes go out and just walk 10 miles. The more someone exercises, the more energy they exert and the more food they need. This doen’t change the fact that as the years go by that your body becomes more efficient and requires less food to maintain. For example, If I walk 10 miles, I’ll just eat a more sustaining meal then I would have. I may do that fig meal I did the other day as it consists of a lot of calories. If I really exerted myself, I may eat a third meal the same size.

When I first went raw I would have masses of energy and then after I ate, I would have virtually no energy. It takes a great amount of time to get used to eating this way. Once you get past the confusion, you will learn how to utilize your body like you never have before.

If I were you I would try to do the heavy activity on an empty stomach and then eat afterwards. If you are doing activity all day, then eat when you are TRULY hungry. Try to stay away from EATING ALL DAY LONG. The masses get into this habit which ZAPS a lot of energy and causes great digestive discomfort. When you eat food and then eat again before it digests completely, you are interupting the digestive process which will result in excessive fermentation and energy loss.

I would just look at my daily meals to get ideas of what to eat. If you go back to the very first post where I talk about dried fruit combinations, you may find that as being great food options.

In terms of healing from you injury, a lot of people don’t understand that the detoxification process is an ongoing thing. If you don’t cleanse the colon, even if you are on a 100% Raw Diet, you will create an acidic condition in the body. People endogenously detoxify while having poor eating habits(overlapping meals, binging, overeating with bad food combinations, etc.) These endogenous toxins COMBINED along with excessive fermentation from these poor eating habits will most likely create an unplesant acidic condition. Colon hydrotherapy is key in succeeding on this type of lifestyle. These gases will travel throughout the system and will sometimes effect the place of greatest weakness the most, which may be your injury. I have literally had an injury or soar muscles, and then I did colon hydrotherapy which pulled out masses of gas and I experienced immediate relief and bliss throughout my entire being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tahini & fig combos have had me fantasizing for weeks about this combo. I finally ran out to the store and am going to recreate the chia/tahini/fig dish RIGHT NOW! Thank you for the great inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I just actually ate the tahini, figs, goji berries & chia and it is amazing! Who thought tahini and chia would work so well? Thank you!